My makes this week: Sewing & Knitting & Crochet!

Hey y'all!

I have done a lot of crafting this week. I suspect it's to make up for the time lost during school in spring, ha! 

I have spent this week watching webinars for work, so I took advantage of the time to craft all of the things! The webinars were amazing, but I have to keep my hands busy. Otherwise, I can't focus and I obsessively think about knitting. It's a problem. Anywho! 

Sewing:

I sewed a new project bag, The Finch Bucket by Stitch Mischief. I used some fat quarters and some linen-type fabric from my late grandma to make the patchwork version in the original size. Holy moley, it is HUGE! It is definitely large enough to hold a blanket or a sweater. AND! There's a pocket inside! What is this world! 

Sewn patchwork project bag. There are floral prints and stripes.

Finch bucket bag closed and standing up on a hope chest. There are floral prints and stripes.

Right now, the bag is holding scraps of yarn and my recent haul from Row One Yarns for my Cozy Memories Blanket. Admittedly, I haven't gotten very far on my blanket, but that's okay. Yes, I know that the stripes patchwork piece are lined up. No that was not intentional. By the time that I realized that happened, I didn't care enough to rip out and redo. There's two pieces matching on the other side too. Oh well! 

Knitting:

I haven't finished anything this week for knitting, but I have been chugging away at my Hermione's Everyday Socks. I'm making them two at a time, a first on socks for me, and using Felici from Knit Picks in the color way Chelsea. Also a first for me, I'm changing the color for the heel flap. I'm not super into making socks right now largely because I have no idea what to wear them with. I don't have any cute birkenstocks clogs to wear with them and I've tried googling for hand knit socks & outfits to no avail. Whatever. Maybe this pair will change my mind. The project bag is made by me. 
A pair of socks just past the heel turn, starting the gusset decreases. The yarn stripes in a green-yellow, orange, light pink, mauve, white and gray. There is a light blue project bag with lobsters printed on it.

Also! I started swatching for a Ripple Bralette by Jessie Mae Designs (link to Instagram)! Thankfully, Jessie Mae is a fabulous human being who is offering pattern purchases off of Ravelry. It is hearting to know that many designers are aware of the serious accessibility issues with Ravelry (look on Instagram too). I am using some Lone Star Arts Yarn in “Melted Crayons.” It is some delightful yarn and I am incredibly excited about the bralette. The bag is from Stitching the High Notes

A ball of yarn sitting on a brown hope chest. The yarn is white based with speckles of multiple colors. There is a project bag in the back that has a gray bottom and a blue accent piece with flowers and strawberries.

Crochet:

I finished our dear friends' wedding gift. They have had to move their wedding date around so much thanks to the pandemic. It's so sad, but at least they are able to still have a safe, socially distance wedding! I followed the large pattern from the book, Your Name and More in Filet Crochet. My grandma would make these filet crochet pieces for family members. Unfortunately, she passed before she could finish mine. But alas, I can carry on the tradition for her. I still need to get a frame for the wedding gift, but I have some time thankfully. I haven't blocked it yet, but when I do, I'll edit this post and add the dimensions. The thing is huge! The picture does not do the size justice. 

Filet crochet lace piece that spells “McClellon.” It’s blocking on foam mats in the picture.

Musings:

The webinars I've been listening to for work have got me thinking about dissertation research, which is hilarious given that I haven't started my master's yet. I've known for years that I want my work to relate back to the Deaf community, but I feel like I will have to forge a path on my own to make it happen. I have some ideas for topics, but I don't want to spend my free time right now reading articles, ha! I'll do that when I'm in school in the fall. 

For now, I only have time for crafting and anti-racism work (coming in the next post possibly). 

Bye y’all!
Nadaya

Comments

Popular Posts